Service Repair Manual
320D and 320D L Excavator
Model: 320D EXCAVATOR JFZ
Configuration: 320D & 320D L Excavators JFZ00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY C6.4 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
C6.4 Engine for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -KENR8106-09
Publication Date -01/10/2017
Date Updated -18/10/2017
Flywheel - Remove
SMCS - 1156-011
Tool Part Number
Forcing bolts M16 - 2 by 120 mm
a. Remove the crankshaft position sensor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Crankshaft
Position Sensor - Remove and Install".
b. Remove the muffler. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Muffler - Remove and Install".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
1. Remove muffler brackets (1).
2. Remove bolts (2).
3. Install Tooling (A) and a suitable lifting device onto flywheel (3).
4. Use Tooling (B) in order to remove flywheel (3) out of the housing. The weight of flywheel
(3) is approximately 50 kg (110 lb).
5. Perform the following procedure in order to remove the flywheel ring gear.
a. Place flywheel (3) and ring gear (4) on suitable cribbing.
Note: Mark the orientation of ring gear (4) on flywheel (3) for assembly purposes.
Always wear protective gloves when handling parts that have been
b. Raise the temperature of ring gear (4) uniformly.
c. Remove the ring gear (4) by tapping ring gear (4) all the way around flywheel (3).
d. Reposition flywheel (3) in order to remove ring gear (4).
Copyright 1993 - 2019 Caterpillar Inc.