Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 1/1/05 Theatre - Page 1 of 8
Merit Badge Requirements
1) See or read three full-length plays or scripts. These can be from the stage, movies, television, or video. Write a review of each.
Comment on the story, acting, and staging.
2) Write a one-act play that will take at least 8 minutes to perform. The play must have a main character, conflict, and a climax.
3) Do THREE of the following:
A) Act a major part in a full-length play; or act a part in three one-act plays.
B) Direct a play. Cast, rehearse, and stage it. The play must be 10 or more minutes long.
C) Design the set for a play or a production of a circus. Make a model of it.
D) Design the costumes for five characters in one play set in a time before 1900.
E) Show skill in stage makeup. Make up yourself or a friend as an old man, a clown, an extraterrestrial, or a monster as
F) Help with the building of scenery for one full-length or two one-act plays.
G) Design the lighting for a play; or handle the lighting for a play under guidance.
4) Mime or pantomime any ONE of the following chosen by your counselor.
A) You have come into a large room. It is full of pictures, furniture, and other things of interest.
B) As you are getting on a bus, your books fall into a puddle. By the time you pick them up, the bus has driven off.
C) You have failed a school test. You are talking with your teacher who does not buy your story.
D) You are at a camp with a new Scout. You try to help him pass a cooking test. He learns very slowly.
E) You are at a banquet. The meat is good. You don't like the vegetable. The desert is ice cream.
5) Explain the following: proscenium arch, central or arena staging, spotlight, fl