Service Repair Manual
330B and 330B L Excavator
Model: 330B L EXCAVATOR 5LS
Configuration: 330B & 330B L Excavators 5LS00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3306 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3304B and 3306B Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5598-09
Publication Date -01/01/2013
Date Updated -25/01/2013
Connecting Rod Bearings - Install
SMCS - 1219-012
Tool Part Number Part Description Qty
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Note: Install the connecting rod bearings dry when the clearance checks are made. Put clean
engine oil on the connecting rod bearings for final assembly.
1. Install the upper half of the connecting rod bearing in the connecting rod.
2. Install the lower half of the connecting rod bearing in the connecting rod.
Note: Align the tabs on the back of the connecting rod bearings with the tab grooves in the
3. In order to check the connecting rod bearing clearance, put Tool (A) on the connecting rod
bearing, as shown.
4. Put clean engine oil (SAE 30) on the connecting rod bolts.
When the connecting rod caps are installed, ensure that the
identification marks are aligned.
Note: Do not turn the crankshaft when Tool (A) is positioned.
5. Ensure that connecting rod (3) is in position on the crankshaft. Install connecting rod cap (2)
and connecting rod nuts (1) on connecting rod (3) .
6. Tighten the connecting rod nuts to a torque of 40 ± 4 N·m (30 ± 3 lb ft). Mark the position
of the nuts. Tighten each nut for an additional 90 degrees (1/4 turn).