PC17 Doc. 16.1.3 – p. 1
PC17 Doc. 16.1.3
CONVENTION ON INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN ENDANGERED SPECIES
OF WILD FAUNA AND FLORA
Seventeenth meeting of the Plants Committee
Geneva (Switzerland), 15-19 April 2008
VOLUMETRIC CONVERSION OF STANDING TREES
TO EXPORTABLE MAHOGANY SAWN WOOD
1. This document has been prepared by the Chairman of the Plants Committee.
2. As part of the 2007 Workplan and within the framework of the commitments of the DR-CAFTA
(Dominican Republic – Central America Free Trade Agreement) of the Central American Commission
for Environment and Development (CCAD), a CITES regional implementation workshop was held on
'Improving International Trade in the Bigleaf Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)', (Nicaragua, August
3. The workshop was supported by the World Bank, and the CCAD organizers proposed an exchange of
experiences among specialists from different countries with the goal of developing practical
mechanisms to boost compliance with CITES.
4. Participants in the workshop included representatives from Belize, Costa Rica, the Dominican
Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Mexico as Chairman of the
Mahogany Working Group, the Chairman of the Plants Committee, the CITES Secretariat and
representatives from various NGOs.
5. The result of this workshop is a report on the Methodology for developing national volume
conversion tables (standing volume & export grade sawn wood) and is provided at this meeting as
document PC17 Inf. 3 (English and Spanish only). The key points of that document are compiled in
the Annex to this present document.
6. The Chairman of the Plants Committee wishes to thank the CCAD and the World Bank for submitting
the document for discussion at this meeting.
7. The Plants Committee is asked to:
a) study, verify and debate the contents of the Annex;
issue conclusions on the same and incorporate any relevant modifications, if necessary;
c) determine how to proceed wit