Gantt Chart Project:
Creating a Gantt Chart for SOCW 351
• The Visio Window:
Open Visio 2003
Under Category choose, Project Schedule
Under the Template section of Project Schedule choose
either Gantt Chart in metric units or in U.S. units.
After selecting your Gantt Chart template options, the
Gantt Chart Options dialog box, the Gantt Chart Shapes
menu, and the Gantt Chart floating menu will appear.
Note: The Gantt Chart Floating menu contains 11 unique (to Gantt
Charts) buttons to assist the user in the creation of their Gantt Chart
Go To Start Button
Go To Previous Button
Go To Next Button
Go To Finish Button
Scroll to Task Button
New Task Button
Delete Task Button
Out Dent Button (demote)
Indent Button (promote)
Link Task Button
Unlink Task Button
Exercise: Using the Gantt Chart Options dialog box to format your chart:
1. In the Gantt Chart Options dialog box set (under the Date tab)
1. The Number of tasks you are trying to chart
2. Time units (major time unit and minor time units)
3. Duration of time for the overall Chart
4. Start date
5. Finish date
2. After completing the configuration using the dialog box, click the ok
button and the Gantt chart will be created per your settings.
Exercise: Showing relevant connection between tasks:
At times in a Gantt Chart you may need to show a connection to one or more of
1. Select the tasks which you need to show a connection between.
2. From the Gantt Chart shapes menu select the “link line” shape.
3. Drag the shape to your “Drawing”
4. Connect the green box on one end of the link line shape, to the blue
“x” on the task time line bar.
5. When the link line shape is connected to the first task the green box on
the end of the link line will turn red.
6. With one end connected to a task time line, connect the other end to
the other task in the timeline. This will visually show