DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER
INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
SEBI/IMD/CIR No. 17/ 193751/2010
February 04, 2010
All Mutual Funds, Asset Management Companies (AMCs)
Sir / Madam,
Sub: Standard warning in Advertisements by Mutual Funds
1. Please refer to clause 2 of the circular SEBI/MFD/CIR No.6/ 12357/03 dated June
26, 2003 and SEBI Circular No. SEBI/IMD/CIR No.12/118340/08 dated February
26, 2008 on Advertisements through Audio-Visual media and Standard warning in
Advertisements by Mutual Funds, respectively.
2. As per the present guidelines, in advertisements through audio-visual media like
television, a statement “Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks, read
the offer document carefully before investing” is required to be displayed on the
screen for at least 5 seconds and be accompanied by a voice over reiteration.
However, it has been observed that in some cases the visual and voice over were
run for less than 5 seconds, or if the visual stayed for 5 seconds the voice over
either started late or ended early or both. In some cases extra words were inserted
in the visual and voice over. As a result, the warning was rendered unintelligible to
3. In order to improve the manner in which the said message is conveyed to the
investors it has been decided that with effect from May 01, 2010:
i. The standard warning in audio-visual advertisement shall be displayed as
“Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks, read all scheme related
ii. No addition or deletion of words shall be made in the standard warning.
4. It is evident from the circular dated June 26, 2003, that the visual is to be
accompanied by voice over. It is therefore re-emphasized that both the visual and
the voice over of the standard warning will be run for at least 5 seconds.
5. All other conditions specified in the above mentioned circular remain unchanged.
6. All mutual funds shall comply with the above