PREPARING FOR A
For adults who are thinking about making a change of career
Produced by the IAG Gateway at Connexions West of England
Adapted from ‘Windmills’ career materials
WORKSHEETS AND SUMMARY SHEETS
This pack is designed as an interactive resource which will provide you with
valuable insights about yourself and your situation. It is made up of a series
of worksheets which will help you explore your existing skills and experience
as well as understand your ambitions and motivation. It will also help you to
start thinking about what you need to do to move yourself forward.
Your life experience
Your paid/unpaid work
Your qualifications – mind map and table format
What do you want from a job?
Your personal ingredients for success
Your working environment
Helpful hints for completing these worksheets:
1. You can choose whether to complete all or some of the worksheets.
2. You are encouraged to put the answers from each worksheet you
complete onto the summary sheet.
3. Each worksheet contains a completed example and a blank template
for you to use.
4. You may need to make several photocopies of each template
depending on your previous experience.
5. Allow about 30 minutes for each exercise.
1. YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCE
The purpose of this worksheet is to help you:
• Remember what you have done.
• Build on positive experiences.
To make the best use of this worksheet:
• First look at the example provided.
• Use the ‘your life experience’ worksheet to record all the significant
moments of your life. Include what you are comfortable with, personal,
educational and work related.
• Use colours, pictures or symbols to represent your memories
• Transfer the main learning points onto the summary sheet.