Latest News from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Mission of World Health Organization: Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over the world. Working through offices in more than 150 countries, WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people.
Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code - Standard 1.2.8 - Nutrition Information
Australia, New Zealand
Type of policy:
Legislation relevant to nutrition
Global database on the Implementation of
Nutrition Action (GINA)
This Standard sets out nutrition information requirements in relation to food that is required to be labelled under this Code and for food
exempt from these labelling requirements. This Standard prescribes when nutritional information must be provided, and the manner in
which such information is provided.
4 Requirements for nutrition information panels when certain claims made
(1) A claim requiring nutrition information means ?
(a) a nutrition content claim; or
(b) a health claim;
but does not include ?
(c) a declaration that is required by the Act, or
(d) an endorsement.
(2) Subject to subclauses (3) and (4), if a claim requiring nutrition information is made in relation to a food, a nutrition information panel
must be included on the label on the package of the food.
(3) If a claim requiring nutrition information is made in relation to a food which is not required to bear a label pursuant to clause 2 of
Standard 1.2.1, the information prescribed in clause 5, must be ?
(a) declared in a nutrition information panel displayed on or in connection with the display of the food; or
(b) provided to the purchaser upon request.
(4) Where a claim requiring nutrition information is made in relation to a food in a small package, the label need not include a nutrition
information panel but must comply with clause 8.
5 Prescribed declarations in a nutrition information panel
(1) A nutrition information panel must include the following particulars ?
(a) the number of servings of the food in the package expressed as either ?
(i) the number of servings of the food, or
(ii) the number of servings of the food per kg, or other units as appropriate, for those packaged foods where the weigh