2008-2009 Rule Changes
All amendments are effective for the 2008-2009 school year, unless otherwise noted.
• Section 150 (d) – Establish the opportunity for an appeal of a positive anabolic steroid test
High School Academic Contests
• Sections 1001 (j) and (k) and 1002 (i) – Require that when the district cross-examination
debate and the Lincoln-Douglas debate championship formats are preliminary rounds leading
to an elimination bracket, all undefeated debaters must be placed in the elimination bracket
and institute the same procedure to be followed for Lincoln-Douglas debate at the regional
• Section 1033 (b) (6) (B) – Establish a minimum performance time of 18 minutes for plays
presented at one-act play contests.
• Section 1102 (a) – Update the procedures to be followed by schools to notify contest officials
of their intent to participate in UIL Music Competition or to declare a change in conference
• Section 1104 (a) (3) – Update the procedures directors must follow in order to use
photocopied scores at UIL Concert Contest.
• Section 1105 (e) – Modify language to be in compliance with new state mandated start day
for the school year.
• Section 1109 (d) – Create a specific medium ensemble category for Mariachi.
High School Athletic Contests
• Section 1203 (j) – Require annual training for at least one member of each UIL district
executive committee (DEC) for basketball.
• Section 1204 (i), (k) and (l) – Allow for a fee increase and clarify the reimbursement paid by
schools to officials in all sports for which the Texas Association of Sports Officials provides
services to UIL member schools.
• Section 1207 (f) – Set the penalties for a positive anabolic steroid test result.
• Section 1208 (j) (1) (C) – Alter the penalty for a coach who is ejected from a contest and fails
to have the ejection overturned by the State Executive Committee.
• Section 1208 (bb) – Require coaches’ education for all first year coaches and any co