While you may realize that eating fruits and vegetables is important, our
current eating trends are alarming. Fruits and vegetables are being replaced
by high calorie foods and obesity levels are on the rise.
The 5 A Day The Color Way is an innovative, multi–faceted campaign to
promote healthier eating. This campaign urges you to eat a colorful variety
of fruits and vegetables; at least one serving from each of five color groups
(blue/purple, green, white, yellow/orange, and red) daily.
5 Tips to Better Nutrition
1. at 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
2. Eat at least one high-fiber selection a day.
3. Eat cruciferous (cabbage family) vegetables several times a week.
4. Enjoy the most colorful fruits and vegetables often.
5. Eat at least one dark green vegetable daily.
Fruits and Vegetables are
• A tasty, low-fat, low-sodium snack.
• High in vitamins, nutrients, minerals, and fiber.
• Easy and quick to prepare on the road or at home.
• Helpful in reducing your risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, and other
The above information provided by he California Department of Health Services
5 A day the Color Way Campaign. The Stay Healthy Program is sponsored by the
California Department of Aging. For senior services and programs available in your
local area call 1-800 510-2020 TTY 1-800-735-2929.
by Eating Fruits and Vegetables
Five Fruits and Vegetables a Day can
Keep You Healthy!