Automated Commercial Environment - Requirements Recommendation
September 5, 2001
Trade Support Network ITDS Subcommittee
Tom Anastasi & Sandra Scott
Requirement / Business Need
Data Collection Model / Data Harmonization
In the past there have been fundamental differences between ITDS and Customs proposals for future
approaches to collection of international trade data. In order to provide clear guidance to the Customs
Modernization contractor and to the trade community, it is essential to resolve these past conflicts and
to establish a plan to address any remaining questions.
The attached paper addresses these issues and makes the following six recommendations:
1. ITDS should adopt the Customs data collection model for Tracks 2, 3 and 4 as the framework for
specification of other agencies’ ITDS data requirements.
2. ITDS and Customs should encourage agencies to be flexible in their approaches to data collection.
3. Any conflicts among the ITDS, G7 and NCAP Prototype data standards must be evaluated and
4. Continue to work toward international harmonization.
5. In order to allow adequate time for trade transition planning, the precise requirements for Customs
import declaration messages must be specified as soon as possible.
6. Agencies’ requirements should be incorporated gradually, based on the ACE implementation plan.
Additional details are provided in the attached paper.
Customs Use Only
Further Evaluation Required
Trade Support Network
Trade Support Network – ITDS Subcommittee
Import Declaration Recommendations
The Trade Support Network (TSN) International Trade Data System (ITDS) Subcommittee endorses without
reservation the goals1 of ITDS:
�	 Reduce the cost and burden of processing international trade transactions for both the private
trade community and the government;
�	 Provide the trade with