Service Repair Manual
325C and 325C L Excavator
Model: 325C EXCAVATOR AMH
Configuration: 325C & 325C L Excavators AMH00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3126B Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3126B Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR9581-06
Publication Date -01/08/2018
Date Updated -17/08/2018
Camshaft - Remove
SMCS - 1210-011
a. Remove the lifter group. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Lifter Group - Remove and
b. Remove the front cover. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Front Cover - Remove".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during
performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair
of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers
before opening any compartment or disassembling any component
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool
Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on
325C & 325C L Excavators AMH00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3126B En...
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Turn the crankshaft to top center compression stroke for the No. 1 piston. Install the timing
bolt in the flywheel. This is for timing during installation.
2. Ensure that the timing marks on the following gears are aligned: the camshaft drive gear, the
idler gear and the crankshaft gear.
Note: It is not necessary to remove the cylinder head for removal of the camshaft.
3. Wire the valve lifters away from the camshaft.
4. Remove two bolts (3) and camshaft retainer plate (2) from camshaft gear (1).
5. Remove camshaft (4) from the cylinder block.