Countdown 2010 Declaration
BIODIVERSITY - THE WEB OF LIFE ON EARTH - IS ESSENTIAL TO THE QUALITY OF HUMAN WELL-BEING, AND IT IS A
CRUCIAL ELEMENT IN SUSTAINING THE SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND SPIRITUAL DIMENSION OF ALL SOCIETIES WORLDWIDE.
YET, BIODIVERSITY CONTINUES TO DECLINE. POLITICAL COMMITMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE TO STOP THIS TREND BY
2010. FURTHER STEPS NEED TO BE TAKEN TO HONOUR THIS COMMITMENT AND TO TRANSLATE IT INTO ACTION.
We the undersigned will take every practical opportunity to:
Support the commitments to halt or significantly reduce
the current rate of biodiversity loss by 2010, made by:
• World Environment Ministers in the Hague Ministerial
Declaration of the Conference of Parties to the Convention
on Biological Diversity in the Netherlands 2002;
• World Heads of State in the Plan of Implementation at the
United Nations World Summit on Sustainable Development
in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2002;
• World Heads of State in the United Nations World
Summit Outcome in New York 2005;
• A number of biodiversity related conventions and regional
processes since 2001.
Encourage decision makers at all levels, in both the public
and the private sector, to contribute to these commitments
Increase public awareness and participation
including the promotion of
exemplary activities towards the 2010 biodiversity target;
• Better integrate biodiversity considerations into all
relevant sectors of public policy and economy;
• Undertake serious efforts to adapt human activities to the
needs of natural systems;
• Support the development of suitable monitoring and
indicator tools to assess the state of biodiversity.
Commit ourselves to encourage and assist decision
makersand societies in achieving the 2010 biodiversity
• Actively promoting Countdown 2010 to focus attention
and mobilise resources for achieving the 2010 biodiversity
• Significantly reducing our own impact on biodiversity.