J:\Policy\FinAdmin \Competitive Tendering Policy.doc
CITY OF VICTOR HARBOR
COMPETITIVE TENDERING, CONTRACTING AND DISPOSAL
OF LAND AND OTHER ASSETS POLICY
SECTION 49 LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT, 1999
The City of Victor Harbor is committed to ensuring a fair, transparent and accountable process, in the
provision of services, purchasing of goods and services and in the disposal of land and other assets.
The City of Victor Harbor aims to ensure that its methods of:
• service provision, including the carrying out of works,
• purchasing goods and
the sale and disposal of land and or other assets
are cost effective and meet the needs of the community and represent best value for money.
Council’s Competitive Tendering, Contracting Out and Sale and Disposal of Land and Other Assets Policy
addresses the key elements of the conduct of Council affairs in these areas and the principles that will guide
its decision making processes.
The Local Government Act 1999 (“the Act”)
This policy has been developed and adopted in accordance with Section 49 of the Local Government Act.
It will apply to the provision of all services, the purchase of goods and services and the disposal of land and
In fulfilling Council’s service provision role, the following principles will apply:
• Consistency with and relevance to Council’s Strategic Management Plans.
• Determination of service delivery approaches on the basis of best short and long term value (i.e. quality
and cost standards will be met, the service will be responsive to the needs of the community and will be
accessible to those for whom it is intended).
• Adoption of efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability measures.
• Adoption of principles of human resource management and compliance with industrial awards and
relevant enterprise agreements having regard to Council’s employee relations objectives.
• Compliance with statutory obligations and the National Competition Policy.