Take a Bite Out of Nutrition: January’s Healthy Eating Recipe
Baked Chicken Parmesan
American Heart Association
What you need:
Vegetable oil spray
6 boneless chicken breast fillets (approximately 4 ounces each), skinned, all
visible fat removed
4 slices whole-wheat bread
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
6 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tbsp acceptable margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray a rectangular
baking sheet and a rectangular cake-cooling rack of a slightly smaller size.
2. Place rack onto baking sheet. Set aside.
3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Set aside. Place bread in blender or the work
bowl of a food processor. Process into fine crumbs.
4. Pour crumbs into a shallow bowl. Add garlic powder, paprika, cheese, parsley
and thyme. Stir to mix well.
5. Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl.
6. Dip fillets into buttermilk, shake off excess and then dip into crumbs.
7. Place fillets on prepared rack. Drizzle each with a teaspoon of melted
8. Bake for 15 minutes; turn fillets over and bake for 10 more minutes.
For more information on nutrition and healthy eating, log on to the LifeResources Employee Work-
Life Assistance Program web site at: http://www.liferesourcesusa.com. You can explore a health
and wellness library rich in resources, or get help online with WS E-Counseling™.