Best Step by step guide to selling your Boat (How to sell a used boat) | Boat Alert Blog
Best Step by step guide to selling your Boat (How to sell a used
If you’re reading this article, we’ve got a reasonably good idea of what you’ll be handling immediately. As boat owners, we all love our
boats but sometimes it is time to “abandon ship”. Whether you’re buying a replacement boat and must first sell your old boat, or simply
able to cash in on your investment, please take this opportunity to do it right. This boat selling process doesn’t need to be painful. This
comprehensive for-sale-by-owner (FSBO) boat selling guide is meant to supply Boat-Alert customers and visitors with information and
hopefully assist you with all the steps. Let’s take a deeper dive into each step.
BOAT SELLING PROCESS: STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
1. Prepare your boat for sale (de-clutter and clean it)
2. Take on-the-water photos and videos (avoid on-trailer-images)
3. Set your price according to your market research and boat value calculator.
4. Get a boat survey done or obtain a boat history lookup.
5. Advertise your boat to your audience (list it on classifieds websites)
6. Show your boat in-person or via virtual boat tours (offer an optional sea trial if possible)
7. Sell your boat with a bill of sale, title and documentation
8. Get help from a ship dealer or yacht broker (optional; has fees)
9. Sell the used boat on a trailer
“Sell my boat” are three words no boat owner likes to mention. But they are often necessary, once you want to mention “buying a
PREPARE YOUR BOAT FOR SALE
1. Once you’ve decided to sell your boat, you’ll definitely need to do some preparation because there could be quirks and
mechanical issues that you’ve lived with for many years and got so accustomed to that you don’t notice anymore. These
familiar issues could chase away interested buyers if they are picky. That rattle within th