CITY OF ISSAQUAH
AQUATICS MAINTENANCE SPECIALIST
A position in this class performs a variety of specialized and technical tasks related to
swimming pool maintenance and assurance of water quality standards. An incumbent
conducts a variety of tests on pool water and makes appropriate corrections. Duties also
include ensuring proper functioning of plumbing systems, changing pool filters and vents
and conducting other maintenance work in and around the pool facility.
Reports to: Recreation Program Supervisor
Independently performs various specialized tasks in accordance with specific procedures
and standard practices under general supervision. Employee is responsible for
supervising sub-contracted maintenance work.
Work is performed primarily in the pool facility requiring the use of test equipment and
hand and power tools and other equipment, exposing the employee to chemicals,
electricity and dangers associated with water and swimming pools.
• Tests water in swimming pool continuously for such conditions as PH, chlorine
level, alkalinity, temperature, water hardness and clarity; takes appropriate action
to correct problems; maintains records on tests and chemical usage.
• Maintains pumps and filters; back washes filters as needed; oils pumps.
• Operates a variety of standard hand tools and equipment used in swimming pool
maintenance and repair activities on a regular basis.
• Performs preventive maintenance and makes repairs to pumps, boiler and
• Assures the cleanliness of the pool and pool deck; assures proper sanitation and
safe conditions; provides for regular cleaning of the pool according to health
• Keeps abreast of new codes, regulations and maintenance practices related to
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
• Provides training and technical assistance to other staff in areas of expertise.
• Inventories and maintains pool