Component Modeling Approach (CMA)
June 18, 2009
NFRC Members and CMA Stakeholders
Manager of Business Development & Outreach
SUBJECT: Component Modeling Approach (CMA) Pilot Project Update
This bulletin is an update on current and pending activities regarding the implementation
of the CMA Pilot Project.
To help ensure that the final CMA rating and labeling system incorporates the latest
software technology and provides users with the best possible experience, the NFRC
has decided to delay final implementation of the program until January 2010.
This delay will allow NFRC to:
• Work to finalize the latest versions of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s
WINDOW and THERM and incorporate them into the CMAST software.
• Work to finalize the latest versions of WINDOW and THERM and incorporate the
use of the programs into the CMA process and CMAST software.
• Ramp up efforts designed to educate and inform building officials and utilities
about the benefits of the CMA system.
• Conduct a more thorough testing and vetting process.
• Meet the August 1, 2009, deadline set by the California Energy Commission
(CEC) by providing Label Certificates for the new Title 24 requirements through
the ongoing CMA Pilot Project, which allows for the testing and refining of the
entire CMA process.
NFRC is committed to open and honest communication about the development of the
CMA program, and we will send out regular updates of its progress in the weeks and
months to come.
Marketing Consultant Chosen
NFRC has chosen the Heschong Mahone Group (HMG) to promote CMA in California.
Given HMG’s existing contacts and proven success in promoting new technology
services, NFRC anticipates CMA will make a strong and lasting impression among
building code officials and utility providers. Targeting this niche market will pr