Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms – I-864, I-864EZ,
I-864A, and I-864W
Warning: Do not take any action described below without authorization from the
National Visa Center (NVC). Taking action without the NVC's authorization could result
in a delay in processing.
If the petitioner has received notification to read the Affidavit of Support
Instructions and download the appropriate form:
1. Review the General Information and FAQ.
2. Review page 1 of the I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support
Exemption Form, to determine if the petitioner is exempt from the Affidavit of
3. Download the I-864P - Poverty Guidelines.
4. Review page 1 of the I-864EZ - Affidavit of Support Form, to determine if the
petitioner is eligible to submit the I-864EZ.
5. If these forms do not apply, the petitioner is required to submit an I-864 –
Affidavit of Support - and possibly an I-864A - Contract Between Sponsor and
Household Member - as well.
6. Complete the appropriate Affidavit of Support form. When completing the
forms, please keep in mind:
The Department of State prefers that the Affidavit of Support form(s) be
completed on your computer using CAPITAL letters.
Following the detailed instructions included with each form (I-864W, I-
864EZ, I-864, and I-864A) is very important.
7. After completing the form on the computer, print it. The forms cannot be
8. Review the appropriate checklist to verify that the proper form has been
Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption, Form I-864W,
Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, Checklist
Joint Sponsor’s Documents (if required) Checklist
Household Member’s Documents (if required) Checklist
9. Mail the form and any required supporting documents to the NVC. Be sure to
include the bar code sheet for the applicant’s case.
*Important Notice For Sponsors
The Affidavit of Support f