Community Assistant Job Description
IUP Office of Housing and Residence Life
A Community Assistant serves as a peer educator and helper in order to facilitate the personal and academic
growth and development of residential students. Community Assistants are selected on the basis of leadership
experiences, communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be a positive role model academically and
behaviorally, interest in working with students to develop a positive floor/building community and willingness
to promote their own personal growth and development.
THE COMMUNITY ASSISTANT IS EXPECTED TO:
• Support the goals, expectations, and mission statement of the Office of Housing and Residence Life and
perform duties accordingly.
• Be regularly available/visible to residents each day.
• Work with others collaboratively, including OHRL staff, maintenance, university police, Resident Safety
Assistants, Peer Mentors, etc.
• Hold the position secondary only to academic requirements.
• Function as a positive role model at all times, including at activities that occur on University property and in
the local community.
• Follow the policies and regulations regarding student behaviors as stated in The Source and the Residence
Hall Housing License Agreement and Dining Services Contract.
• Accept challenges to personal growth and utilize feedback to improve performance.
• Assist students regarding personal, social and/or academic concerns or needs; refer students, as necessary, to
appropriate university and/or community resources.
• Assist students in mediating conflicts, both proactively and reactively.
Inform and update the building director of any important floor/building occurrences and of students with
possible emotional, physical and/or mental health concerns.
Initiate and maintain regular contact with floor residents throughout the year in order to develop positive
• Promote and