Chapter 2 Microsoft Explorer 5.5
Connecting to the Internet
To connect to the Internet, register with an Internet Service
An ISP connects your computer to the Internet through a
modem or network connection.
Once you have an account, start the Internet Connection Wizard (ICW).
– Look in your Start menu under Programs-Accessories-
Internet Explorer 5
URL: Uniform (or Universal) Resource Locator
A URL is displayed in the Address bar.
It describes the location of the file the browser is displaying or
It usually begins with http:// (Hypertext Transfer Protocol).
You can go to an new URL by overwriting the contents of the
– or by selecting on already visited page by clicking the arrow
by the address bar
– or by clicking a hyperlink (anchor) in the browser window.
Exploit the history by
• using the Forward and Back buttons (perhaps repeatedly) or
• clicking the small down arrow by the Forward or Back button
to select from a menu of the previous/last five URLs.
The interactive history bar is activated by clicking the History
button on the toolbar.
It shows your history over the past 30 (default) days.
Autocomplete shows URLs in your history that match what you’ve
typed so far.
Autocomplete also gives the option to remember some of your
entries in forms.
Click Refresh to get the most recent version of a page that might
be changed since it was cached.
A URL might be (besides a Web page)
• an email address – then it opens an email message to the
• a file your browser can’t display – then you’re given the
option to download it.
You can download all elements of a Web page.
right click, choose Save Picture As … or
Set as Wallpaper (background for your screen).
Code: choose Save As … .
Searching the Internet
Search engines constantly explore the Internet and keep records of