A Guide to
Long Island City/Astoria
No matter what your situation,
you can get nutritious food.
Read more to find out about:
Food Stamps • WIC•Summer/School Meals
Senior Meals • Soup Kitchens and Food Pantries
Farmers’ Markets • Specialty Services (Shelters,
Health Care, etc.)
2 NYCCAH Street Sheet | Long Island City/Astoria
A Food Stamps card can make you and your
family stronger with nutritious food. Even if
you are a working immigrant, there is a good
chance you are eligible.
What should I know about
• You can get food stamps even if you are working,
but earning low wages.
• Average food stamp benefits are over $100 per person
per month, and $200 or more for families (varies
with income). That means that the average family
receives more than $2,400 worth of food per year!
• Food Stamps do not adversely affect immigration status.
• Food Stamps can be used at many farmers’ markets.
NYCCAH Street Sheet | Long Island City/Astoria 3
What are the income qualifications
for Food Stamps?
Households have to meet income tests to receive food
stamps. Most households that have income over the
amounts listed below cannot get food stamps.
If you meet the above income qualifications, it no
longer matters how much money you may or may
not have in countable resources. In other words,
you can now save money for education, a home
purchase, retirement, or other purposes and still
receive food stamps.
Which type of legal immigrants
are eligible for food stamps?
Legal immigrants can often receive food stamps if they:
• Have lived in the country for 5 years; or
• Are receiving disability-related assistance or benefits,
regardless of entry date; or
• Are children regardless of entry date.
* Effective 10/1/08-9/30/09, households with an elderly (age 60
or older) or disabled individual, or households with childcare or
dependant care expenses, are not subject to this income test.