(includes Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts)
CONTENT STANDARDS AND WORKING DRAFT BENCHMARKS
Content Standard 1: All students will apply skills and knowledge to perform in the arts.
1. Accurately demonstrate basic
locomotor skills through straight
and curved pathways including
2. Accurately demonstrate nonloco-
motor/axial movement (such as
bend, twist, stretch, swing).
3. Demonstrate shapes at low,
middle, and high levels.
4. Demonstrate the ability to define
and maintain personal space.
5. Demonstrate moving to a musical
beat and responding to changes in
6. Demonstrate kinesthetic
awareness, concentration, and
focus in performing movement
7. Demonstrate the ability to work
effectively alone and with a
8. Demonstrate the following partner
skills: leading, following, and
1. Demonstrate the following
movement skills: alignment,
balance, initiation of movement,
articulation of isolated body parts,
weight shift, elevation and landing,
and fall and recovery.
2. Accurately identify and demonstrate
basic dance steps, positions, and
patterns for dance from two different
styles or traditions.
3. Accurately transfer a spatial pattern
from the visual to the kinesthetic.
4. Accurately transfer a rhythmic
pattern from the aural to the
5. Identify and clearly demonstrate a
range of dynamics/movement
6. Demonstrate increasing kinesthetic
awareness, concentration, and focus
in performing movement skills.
7. Demonstrate accurate memorization
and reproduction of movement
8. Clearly demonstrate the principles of
contrast and transition.
9. Effectively demonstrate the
processes of reordering and chance.
10. Successfully demonstrate the
structures or forms for AB, ABA,
canon, call and response, and
1. Demonstrate appropriate