Service Repair Manual
140H Motor Grader
Product: MOTOR GRADER
Model: 140H NA MOTOR GRADER 9TN
Configuration: 140H Motor Grader 9TN00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3306 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3304B and 3306B Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5598-09
Publication Date -01/01/2013
Date Updated -25/01/2013
Flywheel - Install
SMCS - 1156-012
Tool Part Number Part Description Qty
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
140H Motor Grader 9TN00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3306 Engine(SEBP...
Note: The ring gear must be installed with the chamfered side of the teeth upward, shown in
the inset of Illustration 1. The chamfered side of the gear teeth will be facing toward the
starting motor when the flywheel is installed to engage the starting motor correctly.
1. Heat ring gear (1) to a maximum temperature of 320 °C (608 °F). Install the ring gear.
Typical Example. Tooling (A) that is show is not what is called out in the above Table.
2. Install Tool (A) on the flywheel.
3. Install two 5/8-18 NF guide bolts in the crankshaft for alignment, if necessary.
4. Slide the flywheel onto the guide bolts. Ensure that mark (2) on the crankshaft is aligned
with mark (3) on the flywheel. Hold the flywheel in position and install the bolts. Remove
the two guide bolts and install the remaining two bolts, if necessary. Tighten the bolts to a
torque of 205 ± 27 N·m (151 ± 20 lb ft).
5. Remove Tool (A) from the flywheel.
6. Check the flywheel runout. Refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Basic Block" topic for
more information on flywheel runout.
End By: Install the electric starting motor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Electric Starti