Displaying all system information clearly
There is a hidden central collection point for Windows System and Microso
ft Office information. This is how you can find it.
1. Open the tool 'System Information' via 'Start|Run' amd then enter 'msinfo3
2.exe'. On the left side, various categories are displayed in a tree structur
e, in which Windows divides the collected details. The main categories are 'H
ardware resources', 'Compnents', 'Software environment', 'Internet settings'
and Office, for examble 'Office 2003 applications'
2. As soon as select one of these categories or subcategories, you will see
the available information about the set environment variables, select the
category 'system summary|Software|Environment Variables.
3. In the lower margin, you have an option of searching for specific informat
ion. Simply enter a word or phrase unde 'find what' and click on 'find'. to s
ave time, you can restrict the information you are searching for with 'search
selected category only' and 'search category names only'.
4. With 'File|Save', you can save the System Informationin a NFO fil. The i
nformation can be displayed again later with 'File|Open'. you can thus iden
tify changes in your system.
5. Click 'File|Export' to save the information of the selected category in a
text file. In the following dialog, decide the saving location as well as nam
e and click on 'Save'. To export all available information, select the catego
ry 'System Summary'.