Service Repair Manual
Model: 318C EXCAVATOR FAA
Configuration: 318C Excavators FAA00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3066 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3064 and 3066 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5553-10
Publication Date -01/05/2012
Date Updated -15/05/2012
Pistons and Connecting Rods - Install
SMCS - 1225-012
Tool Part Number
Piston Ring Compressor
(1) Tool (B) is a 46 mm socket.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Note: Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Connecting Rod Bearings - Install" for the inspection
procedure of the connecting rod bearings and the crankshaft connecting rod journals.
1. Put clean engine oil on the crankshaft journals and on the inside of the cylinder bores. Put
clean engine oil on the piston rings and the connecting rod bearings.
2. Use Tooling (B) to rotate the crankshaft until the bearing journals are at the bottom center.
The bearing journals that are at the bottom center are for the piston installation.
318C Excavators FAA00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3066 Engine(SEBP35...
(A) End gap for No. 1 ring (top compression ring)
(B) End gap for No. 2 ring (intermediate compression ring)
(C) End gap for oil control ring
(X) Camshaft side of engine block
(Y) Side of engine with combustion chamber
3. Move the piston rings on the pistons until the ring openings are separated by approximately
4. Put the piston in the cylinder liner. Align the identification marks on the top of the piston to
the camshaft side of the cylinder block. Put Tooling (A) in position on the cylinder block
and compress the piston rings.
5. Align the piston and