ATM Network Protocol Testing
Accomplishments (FY 94 - 99)
• Developed PICS for Service Specific Connection Oriented
• Developed two Conformance ATS for ATM Layer (FY 95)
• Developed two PICS for ATM Layer
• Developed ATS for SSCOP
• Developed ATS for ATM Adaptation Layer type 5 (AAL5) (FY 96)
• Developed PICS for AAL type 2 (AAL2)
• Developed PICS for AAL2 SSCS for Trunking (ITU-T I.366.2) (FY 98)
• Developed two PICSs for the Signaling Layer (FY 97-99)
• Developed ATS for Private Network-Network Interface (PNNI) (FY 98)
• Developed Interoperability Tests for PNNI
• Designed and implemented a software tool for evaluating the
performance of PNNI routing protocol.
• Developed ATS & tool for Available Bit Rate (ABR) service (FY 99)
• Developing ATS for the ATM Signaling Layer
• To speed the deployment of standard conformant and
interoperable ATM equipment for use in high speed networks.
• Develop Protocol Implementation Conformance Statements
(PICS) and Abstract Test Suites (ATS) for the various ATM
protocol specifications, recommendations, and standards.
• Develop Interoperability (IOP) Test suites to test the inter-
operation of different manufacturers’ equipment.
• Develop software tools for evaluating network routing
performance and implementation of test suites.
• Use of the PICS allows testers to select tests to develop and
execute and allows customers to determine an implementation’s
capabilities or features.
• Use of the ATSs and IOP and test tools permits test equipment
manufacturers and test houses to quickly implement and market
conformance and interoperability tests.
• Use of the software tool allows network designers and planners to
test potential ATM networks without the high equipment costs.
Customers and Collaborators
• Test Equipment vendors, switch vendors and network
• Universities and research institute