Acting for Dummies:
Tips to Bring out the
Star in You
Acting is among the oldest and most popular forms of the performing arts. Nowadays,
acting can make people rich and famous. Some people shy away from acting because they
think it is a complicated manner. However, acting is really simple because we do act in
many occasions in our daily lives. Acting is not only for the professionals but for dummies
If you are new to acting here are acting tips that even dummies can learn:
1. Read the script or the play freely at first to get the feel of the script and let it flow
through your head. Don’t get into acting immediately but just read the text to learn the
material and familiarize yourself with it.
2. Research the script or play because it pays to know beyond the words what you are
going to act. Check out who the author is and how his other plays have been. Read about
the setting of the play or movie. Check out what kind of characters it has especially the
one you are going to act. Know all you can about it.
3. Read the script another time and this time you can focus on the character you are
playing. Based on your research, how do you think the character should behave? Keep
this in mind as you read through the text and imagine the character come to life.
4. Know the who, what, and where before you act, ask yourself who your character is,
what it wants, and where it’s set. This will help you place yourself in the shoes of the
character. Imagine what you will do in such a situation. Think of everything from your
gestures to the way you will speak.
5. Read the script aloud with the character in mind. This will help you say your lines
more comfortably. Play along and try out different ways of speaking based on how you
think the character would say the text. Repeat as much as you can so that you can truly
6. Practice in front of the mirror once you have mastered the text you can practice your
act. Do this in front of the mirror so that you can s