TRADEMARK REGISTRATION IN INDIA
What is Trademark?
"Trade mark" means a mark capable of being represented graphically and which is capable of distinguishing the
goods or services of one person from those of others and may include a word, phrase, symbol or design, or
combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs.
Trademark registration can be done for the following:
Any word, title, symbol, heading, label, name, signature, numeral or any combination thereof
Any Slogan, Base or Punch Line, etc. which are used to describe any product better
Advantages of Trademark Registration
1. Protects your hard earned goodwill in the business
2. Protects your Name / Brand Name from being used in a same or similar fashion, by any other business firm,
thus discourages others from cashing on your well built goodwill
3. Gives your products a status of Branded Goods
4. Gives an impression to your customers that the company is selling some standard Products or Services
5. The exclusive right to the use of the trade mark in relation to the goods or services in respect of which the
trade mark is registered.
6. To obtain relief in respect of infringement (misuse by others) of the trade mark.
7. Power to assign (transfer) the trade mark to others for consideration.
Procedure/Steps for Trademark Registration
1. Filing of an application for registration by a person claiming to be the proprietor of a trademark, in the office
of the Trade mark Registry, within the territorial limits of the place of business in India.
2. Examination of the application by the Registrar to ascertain whether it is distinctive and does not conflict with
existing registered or pending trademarks and examination report is issued.
3. Publication of the application after or before acceptance of the application in the Trademark Journal.
4. After publication if any person gives notice of his opposition to the registration within three months which
may be extended to the maxim