Web hosting is a place where people store their websites. Think of it as a house where you store all your stuff; but instead of storing your clothes and furniture, you store computer files (HTML, documents, images, videos, etc) in a web host. More often than not, the term “web hosting” refers to the company that rent out best cheap hosting unlimited their computer/servers to store your website (hence the word, host) and providing Internet connectivity so that other computers can access the files on your website.
VALIDATING YOUR WEBSITE
• Validate sites like W3C at let you give a URL of a
page and it will return errors and warnings based on
• Dreamweaver can do the W3C validation for you
and take you right to "problem" lines in your page
by doing File > Validate > Validate Current
• LOTS of choices. Four general categories:
• Almost never use for real/business sites. OK for hobby or fan sites I guess.
Examples: Yahoo Geocities, Tripod, etc.
• When you get an Internet siteground renewal discount connection, from AOL
to Earthlink to MCI et al, usually comes with 5-10MB of free file space in which
you can build Web sites
• $5-$10/month hosts. Typically more Web services, such as CGI/script space.
Also tend to come with more pre-installed scripts/programs you can use.
• Dedicated Web hosts:
• START at $15-$30/month. Tend to have the best up-time and technical
support (for their servers, not your site).
• Shared/co-hosted server:
• The typical route in which your site is hosted along with many others on a server. That
is all transparent to user though.
• For instance, 50 or 100 different domains might all be on one physical machine, but to
the user they are just going to www.mysite.com or www.thepage.com regardless the
best spinner discount of whether they are on the same server.
• Generally because of security policies your ability to install original programs et al is
limited. You also do not have access to server settings, etc.
• Dedicated server:
• MOST expensive Web hosting option.
• Use your own Web machine but have it located at a Web host's facilities using their
• Less expensive than a 'dedicated server', basically you are paying for the same
network and support costs as above without paying rent on the machine
WEB HOSTING OPTIONS
• Most Web hosts have a suite of scripts for common tasks (such as e-mailing the
contents of forms