AMENDMENT NO. 2 TO THE
SELECTIVE INSURANCE RETIREMENT SAVINGS PLAN
Selective Insurance Company of America (the "Company") hereby adopts the following amendment to the
Selective Insurance Retirement Savings Plan (the "Plan") effective January 1, 1997;
1. Section 2.31 of the Plan is hereby amended by deleting the last paragraph thereof.
2. Section 3.7(b) of the Plan is hereby amended by adding the following to the end thereof:
"Except as set forth in Section 3.7(c)(2)(B), an Employee's period of Service shall be determined by aggregating
all individual periods of Service."
3. Section 4.17(a)(1) of the Plan is hereby deleted in its entirety and replaced with the following:
"$30,000, as adjusted under Section 415(d) of the Code, or"
4. Section 4.17(c)(1) of the Plan is hereby amended by adding the following as new subsection (D):
5. Section 4.17(d) of the Plan is hereby amended by deleting the first sentence thereof and replacing it with the
"If Annual Additions in excess of the amount allowed under Section 4.17(a) arise as a result of the allocation of
forfeitures, a reasonable error in estimating a Member's Compensation, or a reasonable error in determining the
amount of elective deferrals a Member can make under Section 415, such additions shall be reduced, to the
extent necessary to remove such excess, first under this Plan and then under any other
qualified defined contribution plans maintained by the Company or by an Affiliate."
6. Section 10.1 of the Plan is hereby amended by adding the phrase "or would cause the elimination of an
optional form of benefit to which the Member is entitled as a result of service prior to the amendment except as
permitted under Section 411(d)(6) of the Code" after the phrase "or would cause a reduction in the amount
theretofore credited to any Member."
7. Section 12.2 of the Plan is hereby amended by adding the following to the end thereof:
"Notwithstanding the foregoing, with respect to an Leased