Colorado Lien Law
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Default" means the failure to perform in a timely manner any obligation or duty set forth in this article or the
(2) "Last known address" means that address provided by the occupant in the latest rental agreement or the
address provided by the occupant in a subsequent written notice of a change of address.
(3) "Occupant" means a person, or his sublessee, successor, or assign, entitled to the use of the storage space at a
self-service storage facility under a rental agreement, to the exclusion of others.
(4) "Owner" means the owner, operator, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility, his agent, or any
other person authorized by him to manage the facility or to receive rent from an occupant under a rental
(5) "Personal property" means movable property not affixed to land and includes, but is not limited to, goods,
merchandise, and household items.
(6) "Rental agreement" means any written agreement or lease which establishes or modifies the terms, conditions,
rules, or any other provisions concerning the use and occupancy at a self-service storage facility and which
contains a notice stating that all articles stored under the terms of such agreement will be sold or otherwise
disposed of if no payment has been received for a continuous thirty-day period. Such agreement shall contain a
provision directing the occupant to disclose any lienholders with an interest in property that is or will be stored in
such self-service storage facility.
(7) "Self-service storage facility" means any real property designed and used for the purpose of renting or leasing
individual storage space to occupants who are to have access to such facility for the purpose of storing and
removing personal property. No occupant shall use a self-service storage facility for residential purposes. A self-
service storage facility is not a warehouse as u