ALC guidelines for study abroad programs
ALC majors and minors who wish to study abroad should follow the guidelines below to
ensure that they can receive credit on their chosen study abroad program.
Note: ALC can not evaluate any study abroad coursework for non-ALC students. Non-
ALC students who wish to have their study abroad coursework evaluate must take the
appropriate language placement exam. See below for more information.
UC Education Abroad Programs (EAP)
Keep in mind that ALC can not give you EAP program information, help you choose a
program or classes. ALC can only give you academic advice after you have picked an
1. Research your EAP program and courses offered on your program. Visit the
International Education Office to learn more about EAP programs.
2. Figure out what major/minor requirements you still need by looking at your
DPR and try to find similar courses offered on the EAP program, using the
EAP Course Catalog or host university website.
3. Prior to meeting with an ALC counselor, complete your EAP Academic
Planning form and print out course descriptions of the courses you wish to
apply to your major or minor. Since ALC majors and minors are humanities
focused, you should pick humanities courses such as literature, culture,
history, language and art. Do not pick from social science courses such as
economics, political science, business, etc.
4. Schedule an appointment with an ALC counselor by calling 310-206-8235 or
drop-in during counseling hours (M-F 8:30am to 11:30am and 1:30pm to
5. Once you return and your EAP grades shows up on your DPR, please follow
the petitioning procedures outlined below if you want receive credit for an
Non-EAP study abroad programs
For students interested in studying on non-EAP programs, please follow the steps
1. Research your study abroad program and courses offered on the program.
Visit the International Education Office to learn more abou