BASEMENT EGRESS WINDOW
Escape and rescue windows with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall have a window
well. Window wells at escape or rescue windows shall comply with the following:
1. The clear horizontal dimensions shall allow the window to be fully opened and provide a minimum accessible
net clear opening of 9 square feet, with minimum dimension of 36 inches.
2. Window wells with a vertical depth of more that 44 inches shall be equipped with an approved permanently
affixed ladder of stairs that are accessible with the window in the fully open positions. The ladder of stairs shall
not encroach into the required dimensions of the window well more than 6 inches.
(required if well
is deeper than 44”)
Crushed rock or drainage pit
EGRESS WINDOW INFORMATION
• U.B.C. Sec. 310.4 - Every sleeping room below the 4th story shall have at least one egress window
• Clear openable area of window shall be 5.7 square feet minimum.
• Minimum net clear opening height dimensions shall be 24” for double hung windows.
• Minimum net clear opening width dimension shall be 20” for casement windows.
• Egress window shall have a finished sill height no more than 44” above finished floor.
• An operable exterior door or patio door also serves as an emergency egress and rescue to outside.
• Any work valued at $1,000.00 or more requires that smoked detectors be installed on each level and in each bedroom.
• Replacement of a MAJORITY of the windows and doors requires that combustion air be installed.
41” Clear Opening
34” clear opening
EGRESS WINDOWS SHALL HAVE 5.7 SQUARE FEET MINIMUM OPENABLE AREA
Double Hung Window
5.7 sq. ft minimum
5.7 sq. ft
Every bedroom and each basement shall have not less than one operable window or door