to Say “No” in 3 Easy Steps
Acknowledge the Request
• I understand this is important.
• Ordinarily I would love to help.
• I appreciate you thinking of me.
• Thanks for asking.
• I wish I could help out here.
• I am aware…
• What a great idea!
Circumstances: Briefly explain your situation
• My situation is…
• My policy is…
• I have plans.
• I’m not up to it.
• I’m not the best person for this job.
• I’m not available.
Tag comment to affirm the relationship
• Perhaps next time.
• Thanks again for asking.
• I hope you can find the help you need.
• I wish I could.
• While I can’t do what you are asking, what I can do is…
• Here’s an alternative…