CITY OF DuPONT
Current CBA same as Sergeants
UNION POSITION, DPOA LOCAL 165
The Police Detective will be responsible for the criminal investigations department and
for further investigation of all felonies and other such misdemeanors that require
extended investigation. Work of this class requires regular public contact with a high
degree of tact, judgment, and technical knowledge. The person assigned to this position
will also maintain proficiency for the rank assigned as listed in the job description of his
Works under general guidance and discretion of the Chief of Police. Work is performed
with considerable latitude for independent judgment and actions.
Supervises criminal investigation and other investigators as assigned to him or her and
other supervisions as assigned by Chief of Police.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborates fully with other units within the DuPont Police Department and
agencies in other jurisdictions.
Investigates all crimes assigned; questions witnesses, victims, and suspects to
determine factual material and provide evidence of leads.
3. Directs activities at the crime scene to assist victims; obtains clues, gathers and
preserves evidences. Ensures that photographs and fingerprints of all persons
arrested who are charged with violations are included in the records.
4. Records progress of investigations and maintains informational files on crimes
5. Updates regularly his immediate superior about the progress of his investigations
and requests additional instructions when further progress appears impossible.
6. Communicates with the complainant or victim periodically to apprise him or her
of the state of the investigation. Informs the complainant or victim in all cases
that are resolved by arr