This event is part of the Business Link start-up service, which also includes • information and advice
• on-line business ideas and personal entrepreneurship reviews • awareness sessions
• training sessions • intensive assistance for those businesses with real potential to grow
Starting in business
- looking for the answers?
Why go into self-employment?
Going self-employed is a decision that needs to be
taken with your ‘eyes wide open’. During this section,
which is an honest ‘reality check’, you will learn about:
• The pros and cons of starting your own business
• The impact self-employment can have on you
• Why self-employment is right for you
What does it take to run my own
You’re going to need to exploit your existing skills and
develop new ones. This section will give you a good
understanding of the personal factors involved, including:
• Establishing the right skills and vision
• Developing the essential knowledge
• How important experience is
Does my idea have the potential to be a
Good ideas can make good businesses but there’s no
guarantee. Checking your idea first requires some
honest assessment and groundwork. This section will
provide the framework covering:
• Does your idea have business potential?
• How do you undertake the right research?
• Who and where are your customers?
• Who’s going to be your competition?
How can I deal with all the rules and
There is a wide range of requirements placed upon
people starting a business. It is daunting but it can be
managed and this section will focus on the most
important areas, and what you need to do:
• What sort of legal structure should your business have?
• Dealing with insurance
• Complying with Health & Safety legislation
How do I get my finances right?
There are financial issues that apply at every stage of
starting a business. It is one of the most important
elements of starting a business and this section will
ensure you are aware of:
• How to de