Approved for use through 06/30/2010. OMB 0651-0032
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
Under the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a valid OMB control number.
Attorney Docket No.
First Named Inventor
(Only for new nonprovisional applications under 37 CFR 1.53(b))
Express Mail Label No.
Commissioner for Patents
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
DESIGN V. UTILITY: A "design patent" protects an article's ornamental appearance (e.g., the
way an article looks) (35 U.S.C. 171), while a "utility patent" protects the way an article is used
and works (35 U.S.C. 101). The ornamental appearance of an article includes its
shape/configuration or surface ornamentation upon the article, or both. Both a design and a utility
patent may be obtained on an article if invention resides both in its ornamental appearance and its
utility. For more information, see MPEP 1502.01.
See MPEP 1500 concerning design patent application contents.
ACCOMPANYING APPLICATION PARTS
1. Fee Transmittal Form (e.g., PTO/SB/17)
2. Applicant claims small entity status.
See 37 CFR 1.27.
3. Specification [Total Pages ___________]
(preferred arrangement set forth below, MPEP 1503.01)
- Cross References to Related Applications
- Statement Regarding Fed sponsored R & D
- Description of the figure(s) of the drawings
- Feature description
- Claim (only one (1) claim permitted, MPEP 1503.03)
4. Drawing(s) (37 CFR 1.152) [Total Sheets ____________]
5. Oath or Declaration [Total Pages __________]
a. Newly executed (original or copy)
b. A copy from a prior application (37 CFR 1.63(d))
(for continuation/divisional with Box