Castrol Alphasyn EP
Synthetic gear oils
The Castrol AlphasynTM EP gear oil range of high quality synthetic lubricants are based on poly-
alphaolefin (PAO) fluids and sulphur/phosphorus Extreme Pressure (EP) additive technology providing
good thermal stability and high load carrying capacity.
The Alphasyn EP range have been formulated for use in all types of enclosed gears including heavy
and shock-loaded gears and bearings where EP properties are required.
They are suitable for use in gear boxes where micro-pitting resistance is required and for a wide range
of applications in extreme environments, for example mining and quarrying, marine applications and
The use of a PAO base stock provides an inherently high Viscosity Index (VI) and low pour points
making these products suitable for use over a wide temperature range.
The Alphasyn EP range is fully compatible with nitrile, silicone and fluropolymer seal materials.
Alphasyn EP is classified as follows:
DIN Classification is CLP
The Alphasyn EP range meets the requirements of:
• DIN 51517 Part 3
• AGMA 9005 - D94
• US Steel 224
• David Brown Type E
• Hansen Transmissions
Lohmann & Stofferfoht
• Full EP performance* gives maximum protection of gears against wear and shock loading,
including protection against micro-pitting.
• Good thermal and oxidative stability provides reliable operation and extended operating life
when compared to mineral oil based products.
• High corrosion protection for gears.
Inherently high Viscosity Index (VI) makes the product suitable for operations over a wide
• Rapid air release and good performance in the Flender Foam Test prevents foaming and
• Good water separation and demulsification characteristics means reduced down time through
prolonged lubricant life and increased equipment reliability.
• PAO based lubricant provides good compatibility w