American Red Cross Asks Social Networkers to Help Disaster Vi
Participate by displaying Red Cross support online Friday, September 19, 2008
09.19.2008 – Washington, Thursday, September 18, 2008 – The American Red
Cross is appealing to online communities to come together Friday, September 19th
to promote its message and brand and help overcome critical funding shortages for
the Disaster Relief Fund.
The Red Cross is currently supporting thousands of evacuees across the Gulf
States affected by Hurricanes Ike and Gustav, as it responds to thousands of
disasters across the country every day, from home fires to tornadoes.
The National Association of Broadcasters has generously asked radio stations
across the country to broadcast a Red Cross Public Service Announcement on
Friday at 1:00 PM EST. These PSAs underscore the vital nature of the Red Cross
mission and ask Americans to donate to the fund. To coincide with this coordinated
PSA effort, The American Red Cross is asking everyone who has a blog, Twitter
account, Facebook profile, and other online presence to display support for the
victims of Hurricanes Gustav, Ike and hundreds of other disasters tomorrow with the
goal of raising awareness and funds to provide relief.
• Change their profile pictures to a Red Cross Avatar for the day (or longer)
• Place a Red Cross Banner on their sites and share on social networks
• Embed Red Cross PSAs
• Embed Red Cross Relief Videos from Disaster Sites
• Embed Red Cross widgets
• Embed Red Cross audio clips from the field
• Promote the Text 2Help campaign
• Share Red Cross news items on social networks
• Be creative! Show support and encourage donations in their own way
On Friday, September 19, 2008, join the Red Cross on Twitter, become a fan on
Facebook, or email your comments to email@example.com.
Video Embed Code
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie"