Instructions to Reviewers of Manuscripts Submitted for Publication
in the Soil Science Society of America Journal
Registration no. ________________________________
Referred to ___________________________________________
On (date) _____________________________________
Return to Associate Editor by _____________________
Please recommend specific disposition of the enclosed manuscript in one of the ways indicated below. Prepare three copies of
your review on separate plain paper so that neither you nor your institution can be identified. Mail the three copies of your review,
along with your recommendation in a separate letter, to the associate editor whose name appears below. Please return the man-
uscript. It is a violation of copyright law to photocopy the manuscript for your own use.
1. The manuscript should be accepted for publication without change or with minor alterations to be left to the author.
This recommendation alone is an acceptable report, but if minor alterations are suggested, they should be indicated in
the separate review.
2. The manuscript should be revised with due attention to comments of reviewers before acceptance for publication. A
separate review in sufficient detail to alert the author to needed changes should accompany this recommendation.
3. The manuscript should be revised with due attention to comments of reviewers and will be reviewed again before deci-
sion on acceptance.
4. The manuscript should be released because it is not in suitable condition for detailed review. Comments of a convinc-
ing nature and examples are required to aid the associate and technical editors in arriving at a decision and in commu-
nicating with the author(s). Constructive comments are expected as an aid to authors in future preparation of their man-
5. The manuscript should be released to the author for scientific reasons. Adequate jus