Eligibility Requirements for Smile Painters
The Foundation is looking for artists - illustrators who are willing to put aside their individual style and adopt the Paint a Smile
style, which was specifically created to de-dramatise the environment in children hospitals.
• Although Smile Painters must use existing Paint a Smile characters, they need to show great imagination and
creativity to paint scenes full of fantasy.
• As all the scenes are painted directly on hospital walls, the applicants must show that they have experience in
organising a large space.
All future Smile Painters will be trained by the Foundation to adapt to the Paint a Smile style and understand the modus
In particular, each Smile Painter will have to meet the following criteria:
1) Adaptation skills: must be able to work as a team, within the Paint a Smile style and in close collaboration with the
2) Mobility: must be free to travel and live with the team wherever the project is being carried out, between 4 to 6 weeks at a
3) Availability: must be able to complete 3 to 7 projects a year. The applicants must commit to a minimum of 3 projects a
year (i.e. be away from home a minimum of 4 months a year).
4) Personal commitment: each team member plays a key role in the success of a project, and must be aware that working
among suffering children may be psychologically challenging at times.
5) Team spirit: team requirements must always come before individual needs. The final work will have to look as if it has
been painted by a single hand.
6) Official registration: must be registered as an “Independent Artist”, or its equivalent in the country of residence.
Documents to send to the Foundation
• Completed and signed application form
• Passport size photo
• Examples* of personal work: recent, old, paint or pencil, photos or copies
• 3 scenes drawn with the Paint a Smile characters (see form part 2)
* We need to see a broad selection of your w