Service Repair Manual
163H NA Motor Grader
Product: MOTOR GRADER
Model: 163H NA MOTOR GRADER 5AK
Configuration: 163H Motor Grader 5AK00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3306 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3304B and 3306B Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5598-09
Publication Date -01/01/2013
Date Updated -25/01/2013
Pistons and Connecting Rods - Install
SMCS - 1225-012
Piston Ring Compressor
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
1. Rotate the crankshaft until the bearing journals are at the bottom center. The bearing
journals that are at the bottom center are for the piston installation.
2. Put clean engine oil on the crankshaft journals and on the inside of the cylinder liners. Put
clean engine oil on the piston rings and the connecting rod bearings.
3. Move the piston rings on the pistons until the ring openings are separated by approximately
163H Motor Grader 5AK00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3306 Engine(SEBP...
4. Put the piston in the cylinder liner with the "V" mark on the piston in alignment with the
"V" mark on the cylinder block. Put tool (A) in position on the cylinder block and compress
the piston rings.
The "V" mark must be visible on the piston and the cylinder block. If
the "V" mark is not visible, the piston must be installed with the relief
for the valve positioned toward the pushrod opening in the cylinder
block. Damage may result if the pistons are not installed properly.
5. Push the piston into the cylinder liner and out of the ring compressor.
6. Guide connecting rod (1) into position on the crankshaft.
7. Put clean engine oil (SAE 30) on the lower half of the connecting rod