G:\CDWP\Course Outlines (pb)\Industry Sectors\Services\Leisure and Hospitality\SCOE Event Planning Course Outline.doc
1. Course Title:
2. CBEDS Title:
Food and Hospitality Services
3. CBEDS Number: 4420
4. Job Titles:
5. Course Description:
This course is designed to prepare students for entry level employment in events planning and or meeting
management. The content includes the principles and practices of sound public relations, planning and
organizing events, meetings, conferences, or conventions, and prepares students for employment
opportunities with trade and professional associations, consulting firms, non-profit organizations, and
corporations. Integrated throughout this course are career preparation standards, which include basic
academic skills, communication, interpersonal skills, problem solving, workplace safety, technology, and
Student Outcomes and Objectives:
1. Determine meeting objectives.
2. Prepare a budget for an event or meeting.
3. Prepare a site suitable for a specific group and their event or meeting objectives.
4. Promote an event or meeting.
5. Accommodate essential housing, transportation, food, entertainment, and communications needs
for an event or meeting.
6. Communicate effectively with clients, vendors, and support service personnel for an event or
7. Employ effective negotiation techniques in meeting arrangements.
8. Recognize basic components of a facility contract.
9. Discuss legal issues pertaining to meeting management, such as liability, insurance, and
10. Recognize ethical issues in events planning/meeting management practices.