Use SolidWorks/COSMOS to model a flat plate with a hole through the center in order
to determine maximum stress.
Step-by-Step process to drawing and testing a plate in COSMOSWorks.
1. Begin by opening COSMOS Works 5.0 from the Start Menu
2. Click on the New Drawing Icon from the tool bar.
3. The New SolidWorks Document window will appear. From that window select
the icon labeled Part. Then click OK.
4. Change units to English. (Reference figure 1.1)
• Go to the Tools/Options… menu.
• Click on the Document Properties tab
• Select Units.
• Change the Linear Units to Inches.
• Click OK.
5. Begin to draw the object.
• Select Plane 1, at the left of the screen, by clicking on it.
• Click on the Sketch icon located on the right-hand side of the screen. (See
figure 1.1 for icon locations).
6. Draw a rectangle
• Click on the Rectangle button on the left center of the screen (See Figure
In the drawing screen click and hold the left mouse button at the origin
and drag to create a rectangle. Release the mouse button.
7. Dimension the rectangle
• Click the Dimension icon (See figure 1.2).
• Click on a side of the rectangle once then click at the location where the
dimensions is to be placed, COSMOS Works automatically draws the
• Repeat this for the other side of the rectangle. Note: the sketch is now
8. Modify Dimensions
• Deselect the Dimension icon
• Select the Select icon (Figure 1.2).
• Double click on the side dimension. This allows you to modify the
• Enter 5.
• Double click on the top dimension. Change the top dimension to 2.5.
• Press the F key to fit the drawing to the screen; your drawing should now
resemble Figure 1.3.
9. Extrude the Base Feature
• Click the Extruded Boss/Base icon (See Figure 1.3). The Extrude
Feature dialog box wil