Section VI - Chapter 32
Tanning or Dyeing Extracts; Tanning and Their Derivatives: Dyes, Pigments and Other Coloring
Matter; Paints and Varnishes Putty and Other Mastics; Inks
Classification of Exports
Chapter 32 - Page 1
U.S. Census Bureau
1. This chapter does not cover:
(a). Separate chemically defined elements or compounds (except those of heading 3203 or
3204, inorganic products of a kind used as luminophores (heading 3206), glass obtained
from fused quartz or other fused silica in the forms provided for in heading 3207, and also
dyes and other coloring matter put up in forms or packings for retail sale, of heading
(b). Tannates or other tannin derivatives of products of headings 2936 to 2939, 2941 or 3501
to 3504; or
Mastics of asphalt and other bituminous mastics (heading 2715).
2. Heading 3204 includes mixtures of stabilized diazonium salts and couplers for the production
of azo dyes.
3. Headings 3203, 3204, 3205 and 3206 apply also to preparations based on coloring matters
(including, in the case of heading 3206, coloring pigments of heading 2530 or chapter 28,
metal flakes and metal powders), of a kind used for coloring any material or used as
ingredients in the manufacture of coloring preparations. The headings do not apply, however,
to pigments dispersed in nonaqueous media, in liquid or paste form, of a kind used in the
manufacture of paints, including enamels (heading 3212), or to other preparations of heading
3207, 3208, 3209, 3210, 3212, 3213 and 3215.
4. Heading 3208 includes solutions (other than collodions) consisting of any of the products
specified in headings 3901 to 3913 in volatile organic solvents when the weight of the solvent
exceeds 50 percent of the weight of the solution.
5. The expression "coloring matter" in this chapter does not include products of a kind used as
extenders in oil paints, whether or not they are also suitable for coloring distempers.
6. The expression "stamping foils" in heading 3212 applies only to thin sheets of a kind used for
printing, for ex