CITY OF ISSAQUAH
Positions in this classification are responsible to book, supervise, receive, discharge, and
assure the safety and security of City jail inmates and their belongings.
Reports To: Jail Manager l and Police Sergeant in absence of Jail Manager
Work is performed independently within established procedures and policies. Receives
general work directions from the Jail Manager and daily reports to assigned Sergeant.
Work is performed primarily in a detention center, performing inmate supervision and
attending to inmate needs. Incumbents could be exposed to potentially dangerous people
and possibly pursuing a fleeing person on foot. Pursuit situations may require physical
agility and the ability to pull an object weighing 150 pounds a distance of 50 feet.
• Assure the security and welfare of jail inmates; supervise inmates’ daily activities;
screen items going in and coming out of inmate’s cells; make routine security
checks; assure assigned area is maintained in an orderly manner.
• Observe, direct, escort, move and supervise jail inmates during daily activities
including meals, court appearances, work details, interviews, commissary,
appointments, sick calls and other activities; lock down and secure inmates.
• Take initial custody of prisoners arrested in the City; search prisoners to remove
contraband and weapons; issue clothing; process, photograph, fingerprint and
place prisoners in cells.
• Communicate with other jail personnel regarding activities and incidents in the
jail; respond to alarms and take appropriate action according to procedural
• Coordinate the release of inmates for court appearance or health needs; review
documents such as court orders and physician’s orders; release inmates to law
enforcement officers or other authorized transport personnel as appropriate.
- 1 -
• Perform pre-booking, booking, p