Recipe courtesy of Brennan Z. Summers
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
The Risotto Project
Global Variations on an Italian Theme at risottoproject.blogspot.com
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
¼ cup grated ginger
½ cup minced onion
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 cup jasmine rice
¼ cup dry vermouth
¼ cup mirin
The Cooking Liquid:
3 cups chicken stock, brought to a simmer
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons white miso paste
toasted sesame seeds
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute ginger, onion, and five-spice powder in peanut and sesame oil over medium-high
heat for about 3-4 minutes, but do not let the onions brown. Add rice and stir to coat with
oil for about 1 minute.
2. Add the vermouth and mirin, and cook until it has been absorbed by the rice.
3. To make the cooking liquid, combine stock and water, and stir in miso paste until dissolved.
4. Stir 1/2 cup cooking liquid into rice, and stir continuously until it has been absorbed. Once
it is absorbed, add another 1/2 cup cooking liquid and stir until it has been absorbed.
Continue this process until the rice is tender and the texture of the risotto is creamy, about
20 minutes. You may not necessarily use all of the cooking liquid.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve risotto in Asian rice bowls and sprinkle with toasted