H45XM H50XM H55XM H60XM H65XM [K177]
This section has the description and the repair instruc-
tions for the engine. Disassembly, cleaning, assembly,
specifications and troubleshooting are included.
Some gaskets used in this engine can contain
dangerous fibers. Breathing dust from these fibers is
a cancer or lung disease hazard. Do not create dust!
Use vacuum equipment for asbestos or follow the
cleaning procedure described below.
• Make sure the gasket material is wet with
water or oil to prevent particles in the air.
• Use a hand scraper to remove old gasket mate-
rial. Do not use a power tool or compressed air.
• Discard all asbestos material in a closed con-
tainer while it is still wet.
Put a “DANGEROUS FIBERS” warning label on
the container. Discard dangerous fiber material
Disconnect the battery cables before doing any
disassembly and repair to the engine or parts of the
The diodes and resistors in the electrical system can
be damaged if the following cautions are not
• Do not disconnect the battery when the engine
is running. The voltage surge can damage the
diodes and resistors.
• Do not disconnect an electric wire before the
engine is stopped and the switches are “OFF”.
• Do not cause a short circuit by connection of
the electric wires to the wrong terminals.
Make sure a correct identification is made of
the wire before it is connected.
• Make sure a battery is the correct voltage and
polarity before it is connected.
• Do not check for current flow by making a
spark because the electronic components can
FIGURE 1. GM ENGINES
5. OIL SUMP
6. ENGINE BLOCK
7. CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY
4–153, 4–181 AND 3.0L ENGINES
1. ROCKER ARM COVER
2. FILL CAP FOR ENGINE OIL
3. WATER PUMP
4. VIBRATION DAMPENER
The GM engines described in this section are the four
cylinder and six cylinder models tha