Laser Standard Operating Procedure
The University of Connecticut Laser Safety Program
1. LASER DATA:
UConn Laser #:
Max. Energy per pulse:
2. LASER SAFETY CONTACTS:
Primary Laser Researcher (PLR):
Department of Environmental Health & Safety Laser Safety Officer (LSO):
Campus Phone: 860-486-3613
Notify the Laboratory PLR and University LSO of all laser-related injuries.
3. LASER SAFETY PROGRAM:
Reference the University of Connecticut Laser Safety Manual for the following:
• Responsibilities of the Laser Safety Committee, Laser Safety Officer, Primary Laser Researcher (PLR), and Laser Users.
• Training requirements.
• Class 3b and Class 4 laser registration and disposal/transfer requirements.
• Medical screening (eye examination).
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective eyewear.
• Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Signage and labeling requirements.
• Non-radiation hazards.
4. LASER APPLICATION SUMMARY (complete a short summary of intended laser use):
Open/accessible laser beam.
Laser operations at eye level (standing or
Ultraviolet radiation/blue light exposure.
Nominal Hazard Zone (NHZ).
Laser master switch (key or computer code).